Saturday, January 3, 2009

People resolve to quit smoking on the New Year day

KK Moidu


Quitting smoking is one of the most common New Year resolutions this year too like the previous years. Grocery vendors have confirmed that the sale of cigarettes fell on the New Year day.
Rafeeq, a salesman at Al Jaf Grocery, Sharjah said, only a few people bought cigarettes on the New Year day and some regular customers who buy cigarettes on a daily basis talked about their desire to quit smoking on the New Year day. Rafeeq added, "This happens every New Year and unfortunately most of them couldn't succeed in their resolutions. They return to the bad habit of smoking after a couple of days or within a week or month. But a few of them who succeeded in quitting smoking. Of 25 smokers who regularly bought cigarettes from the shop, only two quit smoking last year and fulfilled their year commitment."

 
Nishad, a 28 year old Indian, who decided to quit smoking on the New Year day proudly says,  "I haven't smoke any cigarette on the New Year day and  will try to fulfill my New Year resolution. I married recently and stopped smoking inside the house but still I was smoking half a packet of cigarettes everyday. I started smoking for a fun during my college days and it became habit and now I  want to save my health by quitting the bad habit."
Fifty-year-old Abdul Muthalib, who smokes more than a packet of cigarettes daily quit  smoking on the New Year's eve. He said, "I  decided to quit smoking on the New Year day. My room-mate was admitted to a hospital due to health problems. He was a chain smoker and doctors warned him about the harms of smoking. Since he can't smoke, and If I smoke in front of him he may start smoking again, and I will become partially responsible for his ill health."
Although many people are taking New Year resolutions, but all of them are not confident about the success of their goals. Mohammed the owner of Abu Moosa Grocery said most of the smokers return to their bad habits later, but women smokers succeed more when they decide to quit smoking or lose weight.


No comments: